Do you love gaming and watching your favorite shows and movies on your PlayStation 4? If so, did you know that you’re missing out on a heavily-enhanced version of your PS4? A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can open a whole new world for fans of Sony’s popular home entertainment system.
Want to play more games or access titles before they’re released in your region? How about unlocking the entire Netflix library? Using a VPN for PlayStation 4 can give you these benefits and much more!
Do I Need a PlayStation VPN?
As the PS4 doesn’t natively support VPNs (like the Xbox One), many PS4 users aren’t aware of the benefits of using a VPN. Click on the links below for a full PS4 VPN setup guide and to learn more about how a VPN can greatly increase your PlayStation experience.
- PlayStation 4 VPN Setup Guide
- How to Use a VPN to Play PS4 Games from Anywhere in the World
- Protect your PS4 from Hackers and DDoS Attacks Using a VPN
- Unblock Full Netflix Streaming on PlayStation 4 with a VPN
Best VPN for PS4: Summary
- Our Score
- Visit Site
Special Deal: Save 49% Today!
- Servers in 94 countries
- Excellent 24/7 customer support
- Blazing fast speeds
- Preinstalled VPN routers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Minimal connection logs kept
Our review of ExpressVPN shows that it’s hands down the best VPN for PlayStation 4. It offers the necessary combination of fast servers, strong encryption, and solid customer support, all backed up by a 30-day money-back guarantee. There are servers in 94 different countries, which is great news for gamers who need servers in different regions.
ExpressVPN is also unique for selling its own preinstalled VPN routers. Here at BestVPN.com, we’ve had a chance to review one of these routers, and we weren’t disappointed. The router is a breeze to set up, while VPN speeds and general network performance are also excellent. Try out ExpressVPN for yourself and I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Visit ExpressVPN »30-day money-back guarantee
- Extremely fast VPN network
- Great encryption
- Servers in over 60 countries
- Very user-friendly
- Based in the US
IPVanish is well-known around VPN communities as being one of the fastest providers, while also maintaining an extremely user-friendly service. The one knock on IPVanish is that the company is based in the US, although this is countered by a wonderful zero logging policy.
PS4 gamers looking for a VPN will be happy to find a long list of servers spread out over 60 countries. Meanwhile, up to five simultaneous connections means IPVanish is perfect for sharing among family or a group of friends. Try it out using the jump below!
- Excellent speeds
- Impressive Windows client
- Servers in 37 countries
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only Windows client so far
Buffered is a relatively young Hungarian VPN provider that has been steadily improving its service. For starters, there are servers in 37 countries with excellent speeds for gaming and streaming Netflix on your PS4. Customer support is also excellent at Buffered, with a proven track record that rivals even the best VPN services out there.
The great speeds plus strong encryption, easy to use clients, and a 30-day money-back guarantee are all reasons why Buffered might be the right fit for your PS4. Click on the link below to try it out!
- Strict no logs policy
- Bitcoin accepted
- Automatic internet kill switch
- Six simultaneous connections allowed
- Peer-to-peer (P2P)/torrenting allowed
- Dedicated IPs available
- Some concerns regarding speeds
VyprVPN comes is another worthy provider on this list of the best VPNs for PS4. VyprVPN owns and operates all of its own hardware, which takes away a lot of concerns about speeds and reliability on the network. There’s also an optional VyprDNS service, which is great news for those looking to unblock Netflix, YouTube, and similar services on their PlayStation 4.
VyprVPN also has an app for Tomato routers, which allows you to easily get your PS4, smart TV, and other devices all onto the VPN network. Only want your PlayStation connecting to the VPN? No problem! VyprVPN’s router app allows you to easily manage individual device settings. Try out VyprVPN for PS4 using the link below.
- 3,000+ servers in 25 countries
- Gift cards accepted as payment
- Five simultaneous connections
- Torrenting/P2P allowed
- Some connection logs kept
Our PrivateInternetAccess (PIA) review might have placed it last on this list of best VPNs for PlayStation, but that shouldn’t take away from a well-rounded service that ticks all the right boxes. Over 3,000 servers in 25 countries, an allowance of five simultaneous connections, and the ability to pay with anonymous gift cards are just some of the reasons PIA ranks as a great overall service.
It is worth pointing out that PIA is a US company and some logs are retained, but PS4 gamers not overly concerned with online privacy aren’t too affected. Try out PrivateInternetAccess for yourself with a seven-day money-back guarantee!
VPN for Playstation 4: Considerations
PlayStation 4 VPN Setup Guide
As I mentioned earlier, the PlayStation 4 doesn’t support VPNs right out of the box. Luckily, there are two ways to set up and use a VPN on the system, although these do require a bit of a tinkering.
Option 1: Share your VPN connection through your home router
Total time required: ~20 minutes
- Sign up to one of the best PS4 VPN services I’ve highlighted above.
- Open your router’s control panel (check the router’s documentation to find it).
- Find the Network/Setup/Settings/WAN tab in your router’s control panel.
- Enter the VPN setup details that were sent to you after you signed up to a service. This will probably be some combination of a username, password, and VPN server address. These are all provided at sign-up.
- Confirm/accept/save these changes and close your router’s control panel.
- Boot up your PS4.
- On the main PS4 menu screen, go to “Settings” followed by “Network Settings.”
- Click “Set up Internet Connection” and select “Use WiFi” when asked. Select “Easy” as the connection method.
- Select your WiFi network from the list and connect with the relevant login details. Make sure the “Do Not Use a Proxy Server” box is ticked.
- Test your connection to confirm everything works and you’re all set!
Option 2: Share your PC’s VPN connection with your PS4
Total time required: ~10 minutes (you’ll need an ethernet cable)
- Sign up to one of the best PS4 VPN services I’ve highlighted above. Install the VPN software on your home PC.
- Connect your PS4 to your PC with the ethernet cable.
- Once connected, open the Control Panel on your PC. Navigate to the “Network and Sharing Center”
and click on “Change Adaptor Settings” on the left sidebar.
- Right click on the VPN connection (the one you just installed on your PC) and click on “Properties.” Go the “Sharing” tab.
- Tick the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box.
Find the “Home networking connection” drop-down menu and select your home internet connection.
- Connect to the VPN on your PC. Be sure to choose a server that fits your needs!
- Boot up your PS4. On the main menu screen, go to “Settings” then “Network Settings.”
- Under “Network Settings,” select “Set up Internet Connection.” Choose “Use a LAN Cable” when asked.
- Select the “Easy” connection method and confirm “Do Not Use a Proxy Server” when asked.
- Accept and confirm all your settings and you are good to go!
How to Use a Playstation VPN: Play PS4 Games from Anywhere in the World
While most games today are instantly released around the world, there are some issues that can affect gamers from certain regions. For starters, some games can get a later release date depending on your location. A great example is Japanese and Korean RPGs, which are released months later around the world.
Additionally, some PS4 games are banned entirely in some countries or regions. Did you know Battlefield 4 is completely banned in China, for example? How about Vietnam outlawing Mega Man 5 for having an “offensive game boss?”
Luckily, later release dates and government censorship aren’t the end of the world for PS4 gamers. A VPN will help you overcome these regional restrictions and enjoy the full PlayStation game library. Simply connect to a VPN server where the game is already released and isn’t banned, and you can start playing right away!
How to Protect Your PS4 from Hackers and DDoS Attacks Using a VPN
Just like with your home PC or any other personal device you connect to the internet, malicious threats and hackers can cause a huge headache. PS4s are no exception, although hackers do seem to focus more on PlayStation Network accounts over individual PlayStation systems.
Nonetheless, there have been quite a few examples of PS4 users being hacked. A case in 2016 even cost a PS4 user several hundred dollars! Don’t want to lose money, invaluable game saves, and account data? Then invest in a VPN for PS4 to increase your security!
How to Unblock Full Netflix Streaming on PlayStation 4 with a VPN
If you own a PS4, you can use it to stream shows and movies from the comfort of your couch. The only issue is that the Netflix catalog in, let’s say, Portugal, might be pretty underwhelming when compared to that in the US, or even another European country. The easiest way to bypass these region restrictions and watch all of your favorite shows is by using a VPN to change your device’s virtual location. You can read more about the benefits of a Netflix VPN here.
Does unblocking the full Netflix library sound good to you? Simply follow my PS4 VPN setup instructions above and use a VPN to unblock the full potential of Netflix on your PlayStation.
While you might not need a VPN to enjoy your PS4 system, using one can greatly enhance your overall PS4 experience, especially if you are located in a country where certain games or streaming services are unavailable.
Grab one of the VPNs above and fully unlock your PS4 system today!