5 Best UK VPN Services in 2017
- Unlock websites, apps and content from anywhere in the world
- Fast speed for streaming your favourite shows
- Hide your online activity from prying eyes - private, secure and encrypted
- Flexible options to try before you buy with generous moneyback guarantees
- Available for all your devices:
- Our Score
- Visit Site
- 30 day Money-back Guarantee!Unlimited downloading and streaming!Servers in 87 countries24/7 Live SupportConnect up to 3 Devices
- $8.32PER MONTH
- IPVanish is a US-based VPN that has servers located all over the world. It is a simple, easy to use service, that provides all of the best features available at the top end of the VPN market. Furthermore it is extremely fast and keeps zero logs.
- 7 day Money-back Guarantee!Unlimited downloading and streaming!Servers in 60 countriesTicket SupportConnect up to 5 Devices
- $6.49PER MONTH
- NordVPN is a highly secure VPN with a zero logs policy. It has many pro security features that make it the choice for people that need a little bit extra when it comes to privacy.
- 30 day Money-back Guarantee!Unlimited downloading and streaming!Servers in 54 countriesTicket SupportConnect up to 6 Devices
- $5.75PER MONTH
- Buffered is a fantastic VPN service from Hungary. It is reliable, fast, and is highly trusted by its subscribers. It has fewer servers than the VPNs above, but its 30+ servers are superbly located.
- 30 day Money-back Guarantee!Unlimited downloading and streaming!Servers in 39 countriesTicket SupportConnect up to 5 Devices
- $8.25PER MONTH
- VPNArea is a Bulgarian VPN that is relatively new. However, it is highly reliable and provides super fast speeds. Its software is also a real pleasure to use. A young VPN that proves itself time and time again
- 7 day Money-back Guarantee!No logs at all!Connect up to 5 devicesAccepts BitcoinP2P: yes
- $4.92PER MONTH
*All prices shown in US dollars
What is a VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a technology that allows people to connect to the Internet using a remote server to obfuscate their true location. A VPN provider gives its subscribers access to a network of VPN servers on a variety of devices such as Android, iPhone, Windows and Mac. The best VPNs provide more server options around the world. By connecting to a server in a foreign country a UK VPN subscriber can pretend to be in that country, allowing them to overcome censorship and geo-restrictions.Secondly, a VPN encrypts all Internet traffic coming and going from a subscriber’s device to the VPN server. This means that ISPs and governments are unable to detect what an Internet user is doing online. Encryption also serves the purpose of making data safe on public WiFi, by stopping other users on the same network from being able to see a subscriber’s traffic.The combination of privacy (due to encryption) and the ability to overcome censorship and other restrictions work hand in hand to give a VPN subscriber freedom online. It allows the VPN user to quietly access content that otherwise would not be available: no matter whether that content is blocked by landlords, workplaces, governments, or for copyright reasons. A VPN is the solution.
How to choose the best UK VPN
In order for a VPN to be truly useful, privacy is essential. Online content is usually blocked for a reason, so it should be a priority for a VPN to allow its subscribers to access that content privately. A VPN’s main job is to give subscribers the privacy and security they need to be able to enjoy the Internet free from prying eyes and outside influences. For this reason, you shouldn’t be willing to compromise on privacy. Having said that, there are different levels of encryption and once you get to a certain level you are safe. Below that level is a no-go, but above that level is down to personal preference.The next important consideration is software. Some VPNs have software that is easy to use and comes with lots of useful features that make the VPN service better. Others are a bit more ‘techy’ and require the user to know what they are doing. Which UK VPN you should go for depends on where you are on that spectrum and what you want your VPN for. VPNs also offer different levels of customer care, so if you want to be able to ask questions and solve problems quickly, the answer is to get a VPN with 24/7 live chat.Server locations and server speeds are down to personal preference. If you want to stream in HD, you will need a VPN that provides fast speeds. If you want to access websites in the US, Japan or Australia: you will need a VPN with a server in one (or all) of those locations. Different VPNs cost different prices, because they provide different levels of service involving all the points above.
How do I connect to a VPN
Connecting to a VPN is the easy part. Once you have chosen the VPN that has the level of service that you need: all you need to do is subscribe. Once you have subscribed you will be given access to the software and files that you need. VPNs are very good at explaining how to install that software and make it work. In addition, the software is usually very self explanatory during the installation procedure. Once the VPN is installed, things are nice and simple:1) Run the software2) Select the encryption protocol that you want the VPN to secure your data with3) Choose a VPN server location from the list and click connect.Once the connection is established the VPN goes green or says connected so that you know the connection has been established. From that moment on (as long as you didn’t subscribe to a rip off VPN) your data is secure and you can use the Internet privately.
Free VPN vs a Paid UK VPN
A Free VPN is a great way to experience a VPN for the first time. However, it is not considered an effective long-term solution. Firstly, free VPNs are often free because they severely skimp on privacy and security measures: even going as far as selling their subscribers data to create a source of revenue. This is the exact opposite of what a VPN should do and is why free (and cheap) VPNs can be such a nightmare. They promise things, and provide the illusion of privacy, without actually delivering on those promises. In addition, please be aware that there are many VPN services that lie on their websites.Next, free and cheap VPNs often restrict users in some way. Usage and bandwidth restrictions are the most common. This means that usage of the VPN is highly limited. Usually, the VPN can either only be used for a very small amount of data: which means you may only get to see one TV show before it cuts off. The second option is that the bandwidth of the free VPN is so restrictive that streaming is impossible. As such, free VPNs are great for getting a taste of what a VPN can do, but will more often thnn not give the false impression the VPNs are almost unusable.With VPNs you get what you pay for, and as soon as you jump in and get a subscription you suddenly get faster speeds, lots of servers, reliability, great customer support, tight privacy policies and military-grade encryption.
The benefits of using a VPN in the UK
Using a VPN means that your data is kept private: as it should be. You wouldn’t allow people to come and wander around your home, so why let them invade your data? These days, the UK government, Internet Service Providers, employees, landlords, and hackers all attempt to access our Internet traffic. That data is highly personal and tells whoever accesses it an awful lot about us. That invasion of privacy is completely unwarranted and nobody should be OK with it. A VPN in the UK is the solution, providing the best personal cybersecurity available on the market.Along with privacy and security, VPNs allow people to hide who they are from websites, advertisers, and online services. That privacy allows people to avoid being tracked and targeted. In addition, it allows them to overcome censorship and restriction - giving them the freedom to enjoy the Internet as if they lived in any of the countries where their VPN provider has a server.The outcome of privacy, security, and freedom of access, is a far more enjoyable Internet experience. The Internet experience that we were all meant to have!