Thomas Ujj

Thomas Ujj

January 26, 2017

VoIP (or Voice over Internet Protocol) is a technology and method for voice communication. At the core, VoIP is essentially a telephone service over the internet. It was made popular by services such as Skype, Viber, and US residential VoIP provider Vonage.

VoIP services are blocked in some countries, with Saudi Arabia being the most prominent example (the telecom industry regulator of the country, CITC, actively bans VoIP services). VoIP services are also regularly banned in the UAE and Oman, while other countries in the Middle East and Asia are also known for restricting VoIP access. You will need a VPN to change your location and access VoIP services (such as Skype) when in these countries. It is very important that you are careful when using a VPN in UAE or Oman.

You might also need a VPN if you are sharing work-related information with someone else over a VoIP call. Just like any internet-connected service or device, the threat of hackers intercepting your data and Skype calls is a real danger. A VPN will encrypt your VoIP calls, making it much more difficult for someone to listen in.

So, regardless of the reason, you need a VPN for VoIP services. You’ve come to the right place! Let me give you my top five VPN picks specifically with VoIP in mind.

Best VPN for VoIP: Summary

Best VPN for VoIP: Considerations

Popular VOIP Services: Where Are They Banned?

Let’s take a look at some of the countries where some popular VoIP services are banned.

• Saudi Arabia – Skype, Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts, Viber, Whatsapp, Telegram, Snapchat, Discord, and Facetime are all banned.
  • China – Skype users are sent to a Chinese version of Skype that is monitored by the government.
  • Egypt – Skype and WhatsApp are regularly blocked by the Egyptian government.
  • Kuwait – All VoIP services are subject to a nationwide ban.
  • Brazil – Brazil’s main ISP has blocked Skype since 2014.

Using a VPN to Make a Free Call?

There is a lot of chatter around the internet about making free VoIP calls using a VPN. Unfortunately, since Skype’s only form of revenue is by selling credits to call actual phone numbers, free calls with a VPN are not possible.

Free Skype Calls with VPN

That being said, getting significantly cheaper calling rates with a VPN can be done. Skype calling rates from the US are much more affordable, and all that is required is a US IP address to get cheaper rates. Simply connect to a US VPN server and log in to Skype, and your new calling rates should be shown!

Using a VPN to Unblock Online Gaming Voice Chat

Online gaming is constantly growing, with games like Battlefield, Counter-Strike, and League of Legends dominating the scene. These games are notable for being very team-oriented and in some cases requiring voice chat communication with teammates. Unfortunately, some countries and governments do block VoIP services, even for online games!

By using a VPN, you can pass over these silly blocks on VoIP and communicate freely with your teammates in an online game. Simply choose one of the VPNs I’ve mentioned above and connect to a VPN server that is closest to you (but in a country where VoIP isn’t blocked). While connected, just start the game and team voice chat should be unblocked!

You can see an example of this in action in a recent piece I’ve done for unblocking Overwatch voice chat.

VPN and VoIP: Keep This in Mind

It wouldn’t be fair not to mention that there is one significant drawback to using a VPN with VoIP services: speed. With all of your data being encrypted, you will experience some speed loss when connected to a VPN.

The best way to minimize speed loss is by connecting to a high-quality VPN service (such as the ones I’ve mentioned above!) as well as connecting to a server that is close to your actual location.

Best VPN for VoIP: Summary

Thomas Ujj
May 21st, 2018

Born in Canada, raised in the U.S, yet somehow living in Hungary. I have a passion for anything technology related, gaming, freedom and privacy, food and Italian football team AS Roma.

6 responses to “Best VPN for VoIP

1. Prasanta Shee says:

Yeah, VPN is good but it is costly. Also, there is lot of traffic congestion while using VPN from places such as Airports, Hotels, etc. I would suggest continuing using remote support tools like logmein, teamviewer, R-HUB remote support servers, etc.

1. Douglas Crawford says:

Hi Prasanta,

Remote support tools like those you mention certainly have their place, but do not provide the range of uses that a commercial VPN service offers. I would also argue that traffic congestion while using VPN from places such as Airports etc., is due to the location, not the VPN.

2. Les says:

Have used VOIP phone service for awhile; I am in the U.S. Calls are definitely being listened in on (strongly suspect this is happening in the high-rise I live in by new management and/or maintenance. Also, we have a central phone room; the building ENTRA guard system is connected to our phone line). Suspect they have found a way into my email as well.
    I feel like a hostage in my own home.
    Will a VPN stop the culprits (criminals) from listening in on my calls? I am not a techie; will need program that is easy to use, reliable, affordable (limited budget) and does not slow down my system.
    Have also noticed my PC acting a bit strange at times more recently. I have Avast free Antivirus and more recently CCleaner free.
    I use my PC (with Bing) mostly for research, email, and news. I do not watch movies, play games etc. Please help!

1. Douglas Crawford says:

Hi Les,

I t5hink the first thing to say is that getting over-paranoid about surveillance is not helpful (or healthy).

– Most VoIP services uses HTTPS encryption, which means that it is very unlikely that criminals (or your building guard system) are listening in.
      – With non end-to-end encrypted VoIP services, it is possible that the service provider (and therefore your governmnet) itself can listen in.
      – The solution is to use an end-to-end VoIP app such as Signal, although this does mean getting your contacts on board also (WhatsApp is less secure, but may be an easier sell in this regard).
      – A VPN is not the solution for your VoIVPNs for BeginnersP worries, but will protect your more general internet privacy. Please see my VPNs for Beginners guide for a full discussion what VPNs can and can’t do for you.

3. Jane says:

Hi. I don’t really understand how this works.
    Do I subscribe to a vpn service then download WhatsApp etc. ?
    What if I already have WhatsApp installed?
    I am in kashmir, I have no mobile signal on my uk iPhone and no way of contacting people as the government keeps turning off / blocking wifi, Facebook, WhatsApp etc.

1. Douglas Crawford says:

Hi Jane,

When VPN software is running, all internet connections from your device will go through the VPN. So…

1. Subscribe to a VPN service and install its software/app.
      2. Run the VPN software/app and connect to a server somewhere that isn’t censored. Anywhere is Europe is probably best from Kashmir. You can check that the VPN is working by visiting ipleak.net in your browser.
      3. Run WhatsApp, Facebook, etc.

The only problem is if VPNs are themselves also blocked. This is very possible in Kashmir, but if you can reach this website or websites belonging to VPN services, then probably not. If VPNs are blocked then please check out my How to Bypass VPN Blocks guide and also 5 Best VPNs for China, as VPNs that can defeat censorship in China can almost certainly defeat censorship where you are.