Are you looking to get the most out of your Xbox One system? Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) in combination with your Xbox One could be a great way to increase your experience of the latest generation of Microsoft’s video game console.
Quick Links to our best 5 VPNs for Xbox One
Why Do I Need a VPN for Xbox One?
With the Xbox One (and PS4) doubling down as a gaming and home media center, more and more people are using the console to watch Netflix, Hulu, and more. In this case, a VPN can unblock streaming content that isn’t available in your region. Additionally, there might be a number of other reasons why you might be looking for a VPN for your Xbox One (or Xbox 360).
- How Can I Play Xbox One Games from Anywhere in the World?
- How Do I Protect My Xbox One from Hackers?
- Can I Unblock Geo-restricted Streaming Content on My Xbox One?
- Is There a Free VPN for Xbox One?
- How Can I Set up a VPN on My Xbox One?
There are plenty reasons why you might want to use a VPN with your Xbox system. I’ve included a brief guide to setting up a VPN on your Xbox towards the bottom of this page. Before that, let’s go over my recommendations for the best VPN for Xbox One!
Best VPN for Xbox One: Summary
- Our Score
- Visit Site
Special Deal: Save 49% Today!
- Servers in 94 countries
- Excellent 24/7 customer support
- Blazing fast speeds
- Preinstalled VPN routers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- A bit pricey – but worth it!
Our review of ExpressVPN shows it’s hands down the best VPN for Xbox One. It offers the necessary combination of fast servers, strong encryption, and solid customer support, all backed up by a 30-day money-back guarantee. There are servers in 94 different countries, which is great news for Xbox gamers who need to connect to game servers in different regions.
ExpressVPN is also unique for selling its own preinstalled VPN routers. Here at BestVPN.com, we’ve had a chance to review one of these routers, and we weren’t disappointed. The router is a breeze to set up, while VPN speeds and general network performance are also excellent. Try out ExpressVPN for yourself, I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Visit ExpressVPN »30-day money-back guarantee
- Self-managed VPN network
- Great encryption
- VyprDNS service
- Three-day free trial available
- Monthly plans are a bit pricey
VyprVPN comes in at second place on this list, with an impressive VPN for Xbox One. VyprVPN owns and operates all of its own hardware, which takes away a lot of concerns about speeds and reliability on the network. There is also an optional VyprDNS service, which is great news for those looking to unblock Netflix, YouTube, and similar services without the inevitable speed loss associated with a VPN.
VyprVPN also has an app for Tomato routers, which allows you to easily get your Xbox, smart TV, and other devices all under the VPN network. Only want your Xbox One connecting to the VPN? No problem! VyprVPN’s router app allows you to easily manage individual device settings. Try out VyprVPN for Xbox One using the link below.
- 24-hour free trial
- Optional Smart Domain Name System (DNS) service
- Extensive choice of protocols
- App killer feature
- Only 20 servers in nine countries
CactusVPN is a small, Moldovan VPN that is another great option for Xbox One gamers. While more server options would be nice (especially for Asia), CactusVPN’s servers are configured and managed by in-house staff. The service is available on a number of platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Chromebook. Furthermore, CactusVPN offers users a choice of the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP), Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)/Internet Protocol Security (IPSec), OpenVPN, Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP), and SoftEther protocols.
Those looking to unblock Netflix and other streaming services on their Xbox One will be happy to see that CactusVPN also has an optional Smart DNS service for a couple of extra dollars a month. Bottom line, CactusVPN is a solid option for improving your Xbox experience with a VPN. Check out their 24-hour free trial to see why!
- Strict no logs policy
- Bitcoin accepted
- Automatic internet kill switch
- Six simultaneous connections allowed
- Peer-to-peer (P2P)/torrenting allowed
- Dedicated IPs available
- Some concerns regarding speeds
NordVPN is known for having some of the best security and privacy features that a VPN can offer. Optional double encryption, an automatic internet kill switch, and support for Tor over VPN are just some of the reasons NordVPN’s security features stand out from other VPNs. NordVPN’s support for six simultaneous connections means you can have the VPN covering all of your internet-connected devices.
NordVPN also provides VPN routers via Flashrouters so you can easily get your Xbox One and other home devices enjoying the benefits of a VPN. There are some concerns regarding performance, but slower speeds could be a result of the increased security features I’ve mentioned. You can give NordVPN a try with no risk to your wallet thanks to a 30-day money-back guarantee!
Read our NordVPN review for more in-depth information about their service.
- 100+ servers in 47 countries
- 256-bit Blowfish encryption
- 24-hour free trial
- Torrenting/P2P allowed
- Some connection logs kept
- Most plans only allow one connection at a time
ibVPN is a Romanian VPN with over 100 servers in 47 countries. ibVPN uses 256-bit Blowfish encryption, which makes it an excellent option for securing your Xbox One and other devices with a VPN. If you want to cover all the devices you have, ibVPN also has a wide range of tutorials for getting the VPN installed on Tomato, DD-WRT, and Sabai routers.
Our ibVPN review found that some connection logs are retained, which is one of the main reasons why we’ve ranked them fifth when it comes to the best VPN for Xbox One. Nonetheless, ibVPN is a solid all-round VPN, with extras like free Chrome, Firefox, and Opera extensions giving you plenty of bang for your buck. Hit the link below to try out ibVPN for yourself!
Best VPN for Xbox One: Considerations
Play Xbox One Games from Anywhere in the World!
One of the most irritating things that almost every gamer will eventually encounter is region restrictions on games. For instance, various titles in the Battlefield and Grand Theft Auto series are blocked in a number of countries in the Middle East.
Luckily, geo-restrictions blocking you from playing your favorite games aren’t a complete dead end. A Virtual Private Network will let you access games that aren’t available in your region, or even change your timezone to let you play Xbox One games before they are even available in your area!
Setting up a VPN on Xbox One can be a little challenging if you haven’t used one before – scroll down to see my Xbox One VPN set up guide!
Protect Your Xbox One from Hackers
Whether it’s Halo, Rocket League, or Call of Duty, the competitiveness of online gaming has spawned an ugly twist: distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. A DDoS attack occurs when an online opponent spams your IP address with thousands of fake requests, causing your game to significantly lag or even disconnect! Read more about DDoS attacks in online gaming.
While the chances of this happening are usually reserved for competitive leagues, one of the only real ways to protect yourself from a DDoS attack is by using a VPN. A VPN will encrypt all of your internet connection’s data, making it almost impossible for a hacker to individually target you.
The threat of a DDoS attack when gaming online is quite slim, save for a few specific situations. Nonetheless, a VPN represents the best possible security for an Xbox One system!
Unblock Geo-restricted Streaming Content on Xbox One
I’d be willing to bet that a significant portion of Xbox One owners use the system to stream shows from Netflix, Hulu, or even via the Kodi (XBMC) app. While the benefits of using an all-in-one home entertainment system are clear as day, the reality is that almost all of these people aren’t watching all the content they could be watching!
As an example, let’s say you live in the UK and are using your Xbox One to stream your favorite Netflix shows. While this is undoubtedly awesome, you aren’t actually watching all the shows you could be watching. Using a VPN to access the US Netflix content could give you access to dozens of shows and movies that might not be available on Netflix UK!
Of course, the main concern here is your connection handling the streaming of these HD shows and movies. Selecting a proven, fast VPN provider that supports Xbox One is critical to ensuring a smooth viewing experience. If that’s what you’re seeking, simply choose any of the VPNs I’ve mentioned above!
Is There a Free VPN for Xbox One?
Are you looking for a free VPN that can unblock content and stream Netflix on your Xbox One? While it is possible to get a free VPN for Xbox One, the reality is that most Xbox One gamers are much better off spending a couple dollars for a premium VPN service.
For starters, free VPNs are always going to be limited when it comes to allowed bandwidth (usually caps out at 1 GB) while most are also littered with advertisements. Free is also never truely free, as these services are happy to take user information and pass it on to marketing and advertising agencies.
That being said, a free VPN for Xbox One might be right for you if you only need a VPN for a couple of minutes! Check out my top recommendations for free Xbox One VPNs!
How to Set up a VPN on Xbox One
Much like the Xbox 360, PlayStation, or Wii, there is no native support for VPNs within the Xbox One system. While this is slightly disappointing, there are two quick ways to set up a VPN on Xbox. Let me show you how!
Option #1- Share your VPN connection through your home router
- Sign up to one of the recommended Xbox One VPN services I’ve highlighted above.
- Open your home internet router’s control panel/admin section. Check the router’s documentation for where to find this.
- Find the Network/Setup/Settings/WAN tab in your router’s control panel.
- Enter the VPN setup details that were sent to you when you signed up. This will probably be some combination of a username, password, and server address that are all provided by the VPN service.
- Confirm/accept/save these changes and close your router’s control panel.
- Start up your Xbox system.
- Navigate to the “Network Settings” tab under “System Settings.”
- Configure your Xbox to automatically connect to the router you set up earlier.
- Save any settings and that’s it! Your Xbox will now be enjoying the benefits of a VPN straight from your router!
Option #2- Sharing your computer’s VPN connection with your Xbox One
- Sign up to one of the recommended Xbox One VPN services I’ve highlighted above.
- Install and have the VPN running on your home computer.
- Turn on your Xbox and connect it to your computer using a wired (Ethernet cable) connection.
- On your home PC, go to the “Network and Sharing Center” under the Windows Control Panel.
- Click on “Change Adapter Settings” on the left menu.
- Right click on your VPN connection and click “Properties.”
- Click on the “Sharing” tab and tick the box that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.”
- A drop down menu will appear below. Select “Ethernet” (or “Local Area Connection”) and click “OK.”
- You are all set! Your Xbox should now be using your PC’s VPN connection to access the internet.
- Another option is to bypass all of these silly setup instructions and simply purchase a router with a VPN preinstalled. Check out our ExpressVPN router review!