On 23 May 2017, the UK government made it clear that streamers using Kodi to broadcast Premier League games and other pirated content will be shown no mercy in court. This declaration was followed by a sharp rise in piracy lawsuits against popular Kodi add-ons such as Phoenix and SALTS.
Quick Links to our best 5 VPNs for Kodi:
What Is Kodi?
Kodi is open-source home entertainment software that is completely free for anyone to download. Originally developed for the Xbox and called Xbox Media Center (XBMC), Kodi is quickly becoming one of the most popular ways to stream movies and TV shows for free.
Some of the questions I cover in this Kodi VPN guide:
- Do I need a VPN for Kodi?
- What about a VPN for OpenELEC?
- Can I get a free VPN for Kodi Fire Stick?
- How to setup a VPN on Kodi
- What Kodi Apps should I use?
At its core, Kodi essentially turns any compatible device into a streaming platform. It even allows you to stream live TV when you combine certain third-party add-ons with the Kodi interface. One great thing about Kodi is that you can install these add-ons yourself. You can also purchase a pre-installed Kodi device to make things even easier!
While Kodi is undoubtedly an awesome way to stream movies, TV shows, and live sports for free, did you know:
- Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) could report your Kodi use as copyright infringement. A pending legal case in the UK is the perfect example.
- An EU court has ruled that streaming on Kodi is just as illegal as downloading pirated movies.
- Certain Kodi apps and streams are geographically restricted and subject to copyright law (such as YouTube, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer).
- Kodi comes with some serious security issues, making it easy for hackers to target Kodi users.
These privacy and security issues should definitely worry Kodi users. However, there is an easy way to take care of all of these issues: Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) with your Kodi device!
By creating a “tunnel” between the internet and your Kodi device, the potential security and privacy issues with Kodi can be easily avoided! You can read more about tunneling and how VPNs work in the BestVPN.com Beginner’s Guide.
Best VPN for Kodi: Summary
Special Deal: Save 49% Today!
- Kodi-Covered: servers in almost 100 countries
- User-friendly apps
- Excellent streaming speeds- Great for streaming!
- Excellent customer service
- 30-day money back guarantee
- ExpressVPN routers available- cover your whole house!
- A bit pricey - but worth it!
ExpressVPN comes in as the best VPN for Kodi, as they have carefully assembled a service that is easy to learn and performs remarkably well. Kodi users will be happy to learn that streaming speeds and server availability with ExpressVPN are excellent. There are also server locations in almost every major country, as well as impressive apps for Mac, Windows, and Linux, with iOS and Android devices also covered. ExpressVPN even offers unique VPN apps for routers, including Linksys WRT models and a wide range of ASUS RT series routers. Up to 23 different payment options (including Bitcoin), and subject to British Virgin Islands laws (no jurisdiction here for the NSA!) mean they are an excellent choice for privacy-conscious Kodi users. Impressive customer service through 24/7 live chat and e-mail, coupled with an extensive knowledgebase are also great reasons to choose ExpressVPN to for your Kodi device! Streaming on Kodi without a VPN is like leaving your front door unlocked while you are watching TV upstairs. Protect yourself using ExpressVPN using the link below!
Visit ExpressVPN »30-day money back guarantee
- Rock-solid encryption- full Kodi protection!
- Zero-logging policy
- Excellent apps for most operating systems
- Impressive speeds- Great for streaming!
- Based in US
IPVanish is an affordable VPN for Kodi that has servers all over the world and handles pretty much anything you throw at it. Kodi users will be happy to see lightning fast speeds, while IPVanish also keeps zero usage logs to ensure privacy. The only drawback is that it is based in the US (which is why it keeps zero logs). Kodi streams will happy to see that encryption is strong OpenVPN and will protect you when streaming movies and shows. It also provides a seven-day money-back guarantee. Overall, IPVanish provides privacy and security for Kodi users at a fantastic price. Check them out today!
- Five simultaneous connections- Great for families!
- Based in Hungary
- Impressive streaming speeds- Stream away on Kodi!
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Excellent customer service
Hungarian VPN Buffered is another great choice for Kodi, especially as they aren't subject to Five Eyes or DRD legislation, so you don't have to worry about your usage logs being seized by any prying government institution. Buffered also allows for up to five devices to connect at the same time, meaning you can potentially cover your entire household with just one VPN account! When reviewing Buffered's VPN we also found some of the fastest speeds we have experienced when it comes to streaming. Servers in 39 countries (including Mexico, Canada, and Brazil) also mean you have a ton of options to choose from when selecting your location for Kodi streaming. Not convinced by Buffered's impressive service? Take advantage of the 30-day money back guarantee and give it a spin for yourself!
- Bitcoin payment accepted- stay anonymous!
- Optional double data encryption
- Servers in 60+ countries- global coverage
- Six simultaneous connections allowed
- Bit expensive month-to-month
If you are located in the US or UK and privacy is of great importance to you, NordVPN might just be the best pick for your Kodi needs. NordVPN has a reputation for taking encryption very seriously, as evidenced by its “DoubleVPN” encryption system. This system allows NordVPN to encrypt inbound and outbound data with AES-256-CBC encryption not once, but twice! NordVPN is also based in Panama, and it emerged from the recent Panama Papers scandal unscathed – erasing any doubts regarding logging policies. Tor users will also be happy to see NordVPN’s support for Tor over VPN. NordVPN does have slightly higher prices and slower speeds (due to heavy encryption), which is definitely worth keeping in mind when looking for a VPN for Kodi. Check out the best privacy-friendly Kodi VPN using the link below.
- Servers in over 70 countries
- Lightning fast - great for Kodi streaming
- Strong encryption-Avoid copyright harassment!
- Fully featured for security and privacy
- Three-day free trial
- Some connection logs kept
- No 24/7 live chat
Our VyprVPN review shows it's another excellent choice if you need a VPN for Kodi. It boasts strong encryption and has all the best VPN security features for privacy. These include military grade encryption that will ensure a snoop-free Kodi experience. VPN servers are all on Vypr's custom network and are lightning fast and spread out over 70 countries. The software is easy to use, and available for all popular platforms, making it perfect for watching Kodi streams on a number of devices. Customer service is adequate, although the live chat isn't serviced 24/7. Bottom line, VyprVPN is a reliable and trustworthy VPN for Kodi, especially with a three-day free trial!
- Our Score
- Visit Site
Best VPN for Kodi: Considerations
- Android – Available via the Google Play Store or by manually installing the APK file.
- iOS – Not available on the App Store, but non-jailbroken and jailbroken methods are available.
- Linux – Primarily developed for Ubuntu Linux, but compatible with most Linux distributions.
- Mac – Official Kodi install available via .DMG disk image download.
- Windows – Easy install from official Kodi Downloads page.
Devices on which you can install Kodi (other than a desktop)
- Chromebox – Setting Kodi up on Chromebox can be challenging. Follow this guide for more information.
- Amazon Fire Stick – To install the Kodi app on your Fire Stick, follow these instructions.
- Google Nexus Player – Requires a separate installer to install Kodi. Read this guide for instructions.
- Nvidia Shield – The Shield has default Android App support, so you simply download the official Android Kodi app.
Note: this list is not conclusive. Due to Kodi being open-source, there’s a ton of third-party support for Kodi. The ones that I’ve mentioned above are simply the most popular Kodi-compatible devices.
How to install a VPN for Kodi
1. Once you have Kodi set up and running on your device, choose one of the best VPNs for Kodi, or head straight to my personal favorite, ExpressVPN!
2. After signing up, download and install the VPN client on your Kodi device. If this isn’t possible on your device (such as the Amazon Fire Stick), you can look into getting a VPN on your home router.
3. Start the VPN client and connect to a server that fits your needs. The closer the location of the VPN server, the faster your connection will be.
4. Keep the VPN running and boot up the Kodi software on your device.
5. Start securely streaming your favorite shows and movies on your Kodi device!
That’s it! Pretty easy, right? Alright, now let’s take a look at which apps you can install to improve your Kodi experience.
Which Apps Should I Get for Kodi?
Kodi works similarly to a smartphone, with a variety of add-ons meant to enhance the user experience. That said, there are some question marks regarding the legality of some of these add-ons, so tread carefully!
Here are some of the most popular Kodi add-ons.
Movies and TV Shows
VPN for OpenELEC: What Is It?
OpenELEC is a Linux distribution that is specifically designed for media playback. It uses Kodi as its default user interface. OpenELEC is popular for using “just enough operating system,” as well as being able to boot extremely fast. Because of its small size, it can run from a flash memory card or any minimal set-top box hardware setup.
Since OpenELEC is essentially the bare-bones version of Kodi, you won’t get any of the third-party benefits of the Kodi interface. Popular Kodi add-ons such as Exodus, Phoenix, and Specto Fork all require Kodi’s latest release to be installed and working (currently Kodi version 16.1 “Jarvis”).
Of course, installing and using third-party apps to stream copyrighted content is illegal, and the authorities can choose to prosecute. Using a VPN can help mitigate the risk of being caught, but proceed at your own risk!
VPNs and Kodi
Do I Need a VPN for Kodi?
Kodi doesn’t need a VPN to work on any system. That being said, certain apps and streaming services have geographic restrictions on content, making it impossible to watch if you aren’t located in a specific country. Using a VPN can unblock these shows and movies, while also protecting your identity and encrypting data. Simply put, using a VPN will greatly enhance your Kodi experience.
What About a Free VPN for Kodi and an Amazon Fire Stick?
You might have arrived here looking for a free VPN for Kodi. While there are some free options out there (check out the BestVPN.com best free VPNs guide), they usually come with restrictions or bandwidth caps that make streaming content on Kodi rather difficult or even impossible!
Finding a free VPN for Kodi isn’t too difficult, but as the old saying goes: You get what you pay for! If you want to fully unblock geographically-restricted content on Kodi and stream to your heart’s desire, I would highly recommend investing in a high-quality VPN (such as ExpressVPN), which is specifically designed for Kodi streaming.
Are There Any Working Kodi VPN Add-ons Available?
With Kodi being such a new technology in the world of streaming, VPN providers with dedicated Kodi apps are few and far between. At the time of writing, there are currently only two VPNs out there which have developed dedicated Kodi VPN apps: Ivacy and PureVPN. Both of these providers make it extremely easy for Kodi users to install the VPN software on a connected device.
Note that Ivacy and PureVPN have received less than favorable reviews here at BestVPN.com. Questions surrounding privacy, user logs, and server speeds are just some of the reasons that Kodi users should consider signing up to Ivacy or PureVPN very carefully indeed.
How to Easily Set up Kodi VPN Manager
With more and more countries cracking down on illegal Kodi streams, users will definitely need to invest in a VPN to protect their identity when streaming. One easy way to do this is by quickly setting up the VPN Manager via the Zomboided repo.
- Download the official Zomboided Repo and transfer it to your Kodi device.
- Open Kodi -> Select System -> Select Add-ons -> Install from zip file.
- Find the Zomboided repo you downloaded.
- Select Install from repository -> Zomboided Add-on Repository -> Services -> VPN Manager for OpenVPN.
- Select Install and wait for the add-on enabled notification.
- Click on Setup a VPN provider.
- Find your VPN provider and enter your VPN login details.
- Connect to a server from the VPN server list and you’re done!
With Kodi being open-source and enjoying support from the XBMC Foundation (a non-profit technology consortium), the further development of VPNs and the possibilities for Kodi are seemingly endless.
Kodi VPN: Conclusion
The rising popularity of streaming has put Kodi users in the crosshairs of hackers, ISPs, and copyright sharks. Using a VPN with Kodi can help you stay secure and safe from these threats.
I hope this list and guide has helped you find the right VPN for Kodi. If you have any questions about whether a specific VPN offers support for Kodi, or any general comments, please leave them below!