“Free VPN” is now an integrated feature of Opera’s stable desktop browsers.. Despite its nomenclature, however, this feature is really a proxy service rather than a true VPN. A true VPN encrypts your entire internet connection, while Opera’s “Free VPN” only encrypts the data from your browser. Using this “VPN” does not protect your BitTorrent downloads or other internet activity outside the Opera browser.
- It’s 100% free which is all our favorite price!
- No data limits is hard to argue with when you ares not paying for the service
- Pretty darn fast for a free service – it even beats some paid-for VPNs
- 5 server locations in useful places but not the UK
- Ad-blocking on mobile devices
As a free volunteer-run anti-censorship tool, VPN Gate is difficult to knock. So respect to the VPN Gate developers at the University of Tsukuba, and all VPN Gate Sever volunteers. Unfortunately, in practice, I found VPN Gate far too slow to ever be worth my while using.
- Open source
- Lots of server locations
- Very Slow
- Extensive connection logs kept (and will comply with investigations).