The 2017 Major League Baseball (MLB) season gets underway on 2 April, with Opening Day featuring a can’t-miss showdown between the Cubs and the Cardinals. Want to know how you can watch this game and the rest of the MLB season online without any blackout restrictions? Keep reading to find out!
When does MLB baseball start?
Opening Night will feature three marquee match-ups:
- Yankees vs Rays – 1:10 PM ET
- Giants vs Diamondbacks – 4:10 PM ET
- Cubs vs Cardinals – 8:35 PM ET
The rest of the league jumps into the action the following day, with 12 more exciting match-ups. Take a look at the complete 2017 MLB schedule.
How to Watch 2017 MLB Baseball Online
- Select one of the viewing options I’ve highlighted below.
- Check out the best VPNs for baseball, or go straight to my top pick, ExpressVPN.
- After signing up, download and install the VPN on your device.
- Connect to a VPN server in a region that isn’t under blackout. Try to find a server that is close to your actual location for optimal speeds.
- Once connected to the VPN, head over to your chosen streaming option. Sign up and pay for the service (if necessary).
- Finally, start streaming MLB baseball online!
MLB Baseball Viewing Options
Best Option: MLB.TV
MLB.TV is undoubtedly the best way to watch MLB baseball online. For one flat fee ($113), you can stream the whole 2017 MLB season online. If you find the price tag a bit high (which, frankly, it is), you can also sign up for a monthly plan ($25). There is a 35% discount in place for military personnel and students.
The one big issue with MLB.TV (and MLB in general) are blackout restrictions for certain regions, based on TV deals and commercial rights. While these restrictions are frustrating (especially when considering MLB.TV’s price tag), using a VPN can bypass blackouts and allow you to watch any game online!
Budget-friendly Alternative: Sling TV
Sling TV is also a great option for watching MLB games online. The Dish Network-owned streaming service offers access to a number of sports channels, including ESPN, TBS, NBC Sports, and Fox Sports.
With packages starting at $25 a month, Sling TV is a great way to shed your costly cable subscription and watch MLB games online. The only real issue with Sling TV is that it is restricted to viewers in the US. Luckily, the use of a VPN can allow you to unblock Sling TV from anywhere in the world!
Free Option: MLB Streaming Subreddit
Looking for a completely free way to stream MLB games online? The MLB streaming subreddit has a number of links for each game. There are even links for different devices like iOS and Android!
Using the subreddit to watch games online comes with a few issues worth mentioning, namely violating copyright law by watching an illegal stream, but also the excessive amount of malware and ads that are associated with these free streams. Using a VPN in combination with these free streams will secure your connection and keep you safe from malicious threats and nosey Internet Service Providers.
Image Credit: Major League Baseball