It is time for the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards, and people from all over the world are wondering how they can tune in to watch the star-studded event. The 2018 BAFTA awards will be streaming live online at the BBC’s iPlayer. This means that anybody, anywhere, can use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to tune in and watch the BAFTAs online.
A VPN allows anybody to securely and privately pretend to be in a different country. By connecting to a VPN server in the UK, you can make it seem like you are actually there: Allowing you to stream the BAFTA awards ceremony as if you were sitting in Buckingham Palace stroking one of the Queen’s corgis.
How to Watch The Bafta’s Live
When Are The BAFTA Awards?
The 71st British Academy Film Awards – normally referred to as the “BAFTAs” – will be held on February 18, 2018. The event will take place at the Royal Albert Hall in London, England. The famous awards ceremony (sometimes referred to as the British Oscars) will honor the best national and foreign films of 2017.
The BAFTAs will air on BBC 1 from 21:00 until 23:00 GMT.
What to look out for at the BAFTAs
This year’s awards look set to be dominated by Guillermo del Toro’s spell-bounding fantasy drama “The Shape of Water.” The heartwarming movie has been nominated for a total of 12 awards. However, “Three Billboards” and “Darkest Hour” – both films which have strong British links – have landed nine nominations apiece.
This means that the BAFTAs are set to be a bit of a thriller: with a substantial US vs UK atmosphere permeating through the event. With the Oscars just a month away, this will be a good chance to get a sense of what critics are thinking about those nominations.
In the best film category the nominations are as follows:
- Call Me by Your Name
- Darkest Hour
- The Shape of Water
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
In the best director category the nominations are as follows:
- Denis Villeneuve – Blade Runner 2049
- Luca Guadagnino – Call Me by Your Name
- Christopher Nolan – Dunkirk
- Guillermo del Toro – The Shape of Water
- Martin McDonagh – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
In the best leading actor category the nominations are as follows:
- Jamie Bell – Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool as Peter Turner
- Timothée Chalamet – Call Me by Your Name as Elio Perlman
- Daniel Day-Lewis – Phantom Thread as Reynolds Woodcock
- Daniel Kaluuya – Get Out as Chris Washington
- Gary Oldman – Darkest Hour as Winston Churchill
In the best leading actress category the nominations are as follows:
- Annette Bening – Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool as Gloria Grahame
- Sally Hawkins – The Shape of Water as Elisa Esposito
- Frances McDormand – Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri as Mildred Hayes
- Margot Robbie – I, Tonya as Tonya Harding
- Saoirse Ronan – Lady Bird as Christine “Lady Bird” McPherson
How to unblock BAFTA Awards with a VPN
Getting to watch the BAFTAs from outside of the UK is extremely easy and anybody can do it. To do so, follow these simple steps:
- Select a VPN for iPlayer. To unblock iPlayer, we recommend VyprVPN because it’s secure, fast, and has excellent UK servers.
- Click through to the website and subscribe to your favorite iPlayer VPN. If you want a few more choices look here.
- Download and install the VPN software. Remember to get the right version for your platform.
- Run the software and select your preferred settings (OpenVPN UDP encryption is recommended as it is secure and fast for streaming).
- Select a UK server and click Connect.
- Use Google to find a UK postcode, choose a fake name, and create an email address for your fake persona (if you don’t want to use your real email).
- Navigate to BBC iPlayer, subscribe, and click on “Yes I have a TV license.”
- That’s it! Your VPN workaround is set up and you are ready to watch the BAFTAs online on iPlayer!
Live Stream BAFTA’s Online – Conclusion
Fans of TV and Film awards can tune in from 9 PM (GMT) on Sunday 18th of February to watch the star-studded event. Remember to adjust the time to your local area in order to tune in and watch the event. For streaming BAFTAs online, we recommend VyprVPN as it has absolutely everything you need to tune in and watch the awards. However, for those of you that prefer to have a few more choices please check out our 5 best VPNs for iPlayer.
Title image credit: Nando Machado/Shutterstock.com
Image credits: Martin Hoscik/Shutterstock.com, Featureflash Photo Agency/Shutterstock.com