Unblock Google? Why would anyone need to do that? I thought Google was available for everyone!
What if I told you that Google Search is unavailable in China, Iran, and Congo? Did you also know that YouTube is banned in these countries?
With the advancement of the internet, people are able to access a whole new world of information. On the other hand, oppressive governments want to control the flow of information, as this helps them stay in power for longer. Google, as a distributor, is viewed as a threat to governments that don’t respect citizens’ fundamental rights and freedoms.
Where are Google Services Blocked?
Thanks to Google’s official transparency report, everyone is able to see which countries (governments) block certain Google services. Let’s take a look at the countries listed in the transparency report and which services are affected.
- Ethiopia: YouTube shut down for three days in July 2016 “to prevent university exam leakage.” Critics argue the government was testing internet filtering tools.
- Congo: Google Search has been blocked since 19 October 2015. This most likely coincides with widespread protests against the Congolese government.
- Tajikistan: YouTube has been unavailable since 25 August 2015. The Tajik government claims this is due to “offensive” videos of the Tajik president being available online.
- China: Google Search, Google Sites, Gmail, YouTube, and Picasa Web Albums are inaccessible in China.
- Iran: YouTube and Google Sites have been banned by the Iranian government since 2009.
- Pakistan: Pakistan banned access to YouTube for nearly four years (September 2012-February 2016). The block was attributed to an anti-Islam film that was not taken down by Google.
Oppressive governments such as these are notorious for not only blocking Google but also regulating basic internet access for citizens. It doesn’t come as much of a surprise that governments engaging in this behavior continuously rank poorly when it comes to human rights and freedom of speech.
Thankfully, there is a way to unblock Google and access the open internet. By using a VPN service, you can mask your identity and appear to be in an entirely different country. Let’s go over how you get this done in just a few minutes!
How to Unblock Google with a VPN
- Sign up for a premium VPN service such as ExpressVPN, or use the BestVPN.com price comparison tool to find the right VPN for you.
- Install the VPN software on your personal computer or mobile device.
- Connect to a VPN server in a nearby country that doesn’t block Google services. For example, those living in China should try a Hong Kong or Taiwan VPN server.
- Start up your browser and start enjoying a fully unblocked Google!
While using a VPN is a great way of bypassing content and region restrictions, you do get what you pay for. Choosing a reliable VPN with rock-solid encryption, DNS leak protection, and a strict no logging policy will give you the maximum security and privacy benefits of a VPN.
ExpressVPN combines all these fantastic VPN features into a rock-solid service. Don’t believe me? Check out the ExpressVPN 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out for yourself!
Let’s go over some additional Google services that are victims of government blocking.
Unblock Google Search
Google made its name as a popular search engine that bundled a user-friendly experience with powerful capabilities. The approximately 50,000 Google search queries every second are further testament to Google’s status as the internet’s favorite search engine.
If you find yourself in Iran or Congo, you will definitely need to use a VPN to unblock Google Search. While Chinese residents have access to “Google China Search,” this service is much slower and is subject to heavy censorship by the Chinese government.
Popular video-sharing platform YouTube is also unavailable in many countries. Tajikistan, Iran, and China actively block YouTube, while Pakistan, Syria, and Ethiopia have also done so in the past.
Additionally, content on YouTube is subject to various copyright laws and region restrictions. These limitations usually apply to music videos and TV clips. Luckily, using a VPN will allow you bypass YouTube’s geo-restrictions and enjoy content from all over the world.
Planning on using a VPN to unblock YouTube? The connection speeds and available servers of the VPN provider will be crucial to streaming video. Check out the best VPNs for YouTube to avoid any buffering or connection issues.
Blogger is a popular blogging platform by Google, which offers a free way of sharing your thoughts with the world. Unfortunately, “the world” doesn’t include quite a few countries that are currently banning, or have banned, Blogger. Some of the countries that are banning Blogger include Cuba, India, Russia, Turkey, and Vietnam.
The process of unblocking Blogger if you live in a country that currently bans the service is easy with a VPN. Simply connect to a VPN server in a different country and start blogging away!
Unblock Google Play Store
The Google Play Store is the Android equivalent of the iOS App Store, with a multitude of free and paid apps available for your mobile device. Unfortunately, popular apps such as Netflix, Pokemon Go, and Sling TV (to name just a few examples) are only available in certain regions.
What is the workaround here? You guessed it: VPN! By using a VPN to access a different region, you can bypass these Google Play Store restrictions and download any app you want. Check out the Best VPNs for unblocking Google Play to see how you can access different regions of the Google Play Store.
Google has gone from a simple search engine to the biggest internet services company. With a lot of Google services being in development and projects such as Google X meant specifically for research, Google will be at the forefront years to come.
Governments that ban Google and its various services are doing so to limit access to the open internet and censor the information that citizens receive. Whichever way you spin it, blocking Google is a disastrous decision for everyone’s basic right to access the internet. Using a VPN to unblock Google is a safe and easy way to bypass this level of censorship and any silly geo-restrictions.
Have any questions or comments regarding Google, VPNs, or government censorship? Share them below!