It has been two years since the last Africa Cup of Nations, the continent’s famous international association football competition. For people who love soccer, it is an exciting tournament that is bound to attract plenty of viewers. Sadly, in some places around the globe the competition isn’t automatically accessible. Geo-restrictions mean that many people who want to watch Africa Cup of Nations online are greeted with a restriction notice. Luckily, with a VPN for sports, it is easy to overcome these geo-blocks to stream the Africa Cup of Nations online.
VPNs allow anybody to quickly and easily unblock African Cup of Nations. They do it by spoofing their IP address to a location that is showing the tournament. VPN services also provide encryption, so you are secure as you spoof your IP address. The result is that neither your ISP – nor the website you visit – has any idea what you are doing. This is ideal because watching geo-blocked content is technically in breach of copyright.
Watch Africa Cup of Nations with VPN
For unblocking the Africa Cup of Nations we recommend ExpressVPN. However, all the VPNs in our 5 best VPNs for Sports list are reliable and trusted. This makes them perfect for unblocking the football. In addition, the VPNs recommended in our guide all provide lightning-fast connection speeds. This makes them perfect for streaming Africa Cup of Nations online in HD quality. Here is a Quick setup guide:
- Select a VPN service. For the Africa Cup of Nations, we strongly suggest ExpressVPN as it has servers located all over the world that will let you unblock any of the streams. Furthermore, it provides super-fast connection speeds and outstanding reliability to watch AFCON in HD quality.
- Subscribe to a VPN service from our 5 Best VPNs for Sports guide.
- Install the VPN software on your PC, laptop, Mac, Android or iOS device. ExpressVPN allows you to install the VPN software on three devices.
- Choose OpenVPN encryption (this encryption will keep you most secure).
- Connect to the VPN server in the country where you want to stream the tournament online.
- Navigate to the website where you want to watch AFCON and enjoy!
Warning: streaming any geo-restricted Africa Cup of Nations content is against the law. For that reason, you do so at your own risk.
With that said, thousands upon thousands of people located all over the world do use VPNs in this way. Thus, if you do decide to unblock and watch the African Cup of Nations tournament, you will be most secure with one of our recommendations. The reason? They all provide high-quality OpenVPN encryption (our recommended protocol) implemented to a very high standard.
Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2017
The Africa Cup of Nations (CAN or CAF) is also known as the African Cup of Nations (AFCON). All of these names refer to the same African Confederation tournament. This year’s tournament will be hosted in Gabon. The competition has been held since 1957. The tournament is sanctioned by the Confederation of African Football. The current title holder is Ivory Coast, who have won the title twice.
Since the cup was first played 60 years ago, Egypt has proven itself to be the team to beat, winning the title a whopping seven times. Next, Cameroon and Ghana have each won the tournament four times each. Winners of the tournament who obtain the title three times get to keep the cup. This objective that has only ever been achieved by the aforementioned teams.
In 2013, the tournament was moved to odd years so that it didn’t clash with the FIFA World Cup. This was an important change because of the growing success of African nation teams in qualifying for the World Cup (five teams qualified in 2014).
The tournament has grown a lot since its inception. In order to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations, nowadays teams must play in a qualification tournament. In total, 16 teams qualify to play in the finals. Teams are drawn into four groups of four teams. The top two teams in each group advance to the knockout stages.
In 2010, Egypt won the tournament for the third time in a row. It is an achievement that matches those of Argentina, Iran, and Mexico (who have also won their continent’s cup on three consecutive occasions).
Favorite with the Bookies
The 2017 Africa Cup of Nations will be held in Gabon from 14 January until 5 February. Ivory Coast is the defending champion and also the favorite to win again this time. In 2015, the team beat Ghana in the final in a penalty shoot-out. Ivory Coast also qualified for the last FIFA World Cup, which must raise their hopes of success.
Cameroon, however, who have won the African Cup of Nations four times, actually managed to get to the quarter finals of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. That is as high as an African nation has ever finished in the World Cup, and must give the team high hopes of success in this year’s African Cup of Nations.
The bookies currently have Ivory Coast as the favorite to win, with Senegal and Algeria in second and third respectively. Cameroon (down in fourth or fifth, depending on who you place your bet with), with odds of 7/1, certainly appears to be a reasonable choice (not that I am much of a football pundit!).
Where to Watch African Cup of Nations Online
If you are planning to spoof your location using a VPN to watch the soccer tournament, you have a few options:
In the UK, viewers are able to watch the tournament on Eurosport 1 UK and Eurosport 2 UK.
In the Netherlands, Fox Sports 2 (dutch language) will be showing a lot of matches, so tunneling through to Holland with your VPN is also an option.
Bosnia-Herzegovina and Serbia get to watch the tournament on Arena Sports.
African Nations get to watch the tournament on SuperSport (SuperSport Select 2, SuperSport 6 Africa, SuperSport Select 2 Go, SuperSport 4). It is a South African TV channel, so if you want to watch coverage on its website you will need to connect to a server in SA.
BeIN Sports, the Middle East’s awesome sports channel, will also be showing the African Cup of Nations. To see it there, spoof to the UAE.
In the US, BeIN Sports Connect will also be showing the tournament.
As you can see, there are many different places to watch AFCON online. However, because some people may have specific language requirements, and because those feeds are geo-restricted to certain locations, a VPN is necessary (for many people) to watch the tournament. If you do want to unblock AFCON streams that are currently geo-blocked where you live, follow this simple guide:
- Choose a VPN service. To watch the Africa Cup of Nations, we recommend ExpressVPN because it has servers located all over the world, which will allow you to unblock any of the feeds that are available. In addition, it provides lightning-fast connection speeds and excellent reliability to watch AFCON in HD quality.
- Subscribe to the VPN service that most suits you from our 5 Best VPNs for Sports guide.
- Install the VPN software on your PC, laptop, Mac, Android or iOS device. ExpressVPN lets you install the VPN software on three devices, so you can watch Africa Cup of Nations on all of them.
- Select OpenVPN encryption (this encryption will keep you most secure).
- Connect to the VPN server in the country where you want to stream the soccer online.
- Navigate to the website where you want to watch AFCON and enjoy!