Anthony Joshua will face Wladimir Klitschko in one of the biggest heavyweight world championship fights in recent times this Saturday at Wembley Stadium in London.
Joshua (current International Boxing Federation champ and Olympic gold medalist) looks to maintain his unbeaten record against Klitschko, the Ukrainian who has been itching to return to the ring after losing the International Boxing Federation (IBF) and World Boxing Association (WBA) world heavyweight titles to Tyson Fury in 2015.
Let me show you how you can watch this blockbuster event from home!
When Is It?
The high-profile fight will take place on Saturday 29 April. The event officially gets under way around 17:30 British Summer Time, with numerous undercard fights leading up to the main Joshua v Klitschko fight, which should start at around 22:00 BST (yet to be confirmed).
The tentative 22:00 local start time means that US viewers are looking at a 17:00 start time (EDT), Ukrainian fans can tune in at midnight (EEST), and those looking to watch in Australia will have to tune in at 07:00 (AEST).
How Can I Watch?
Showtime – Free Trial Available!
The best way to watch Joshua vs. Klitschko online is by watching through Showtime, which has the live broadcasting rights in the US. While the service costs $10 a month, there is a seven-day free trial with Showtime that will allow you to stream the fight for free!
Unfortunately, there are two big drawbacks to watching the fight on Showtime. For starters, the free trial is only available on the Android and Apple apps. An easy way to bypass this is by setting up your desktop or laptop to run Android or Apple apps. Showtime is also only available in the US, meaning international viewers will need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to unblock and stream Showtime.
Sky Sports Box Office – UK Viewers
Sky Sports has the rights to broadcast the fight in the UK, offering the fight as pay-per-view for £19.95/€24.95 through Sky Box Office. Sky Box Office allows you to stream from your TV or desktop, as well as a wide range of iOS and Android devices.
The important thing to remember with Sky Sports is that it is only available to viewers in the UK. Those living or travelling overseas will need a VPN to unblock Sky Sports and watch the fight!
Boxing Streams Sub-Reddit – Free but Beware!
If you don’t want to spend anything at all on watching the fight, the best free (although not completely legal) way would be to head over to the Boxing Streams sub-reddit. Much like any other sports streaming sub-reddit, Boxing Streams will have a number of links posted shortly before the event starts.
The obvious issue – and something you should definitely keep in mind – is that watching any of these streams could put your device at risk. Free is rarely ever truly “free” (especially on the internet) and illegal streams can leave malware and other harmful traces on your device. Using a VPN will protect your device when watching these “free” streams.
How to Watch Joshua v Klitschko Online with a VPN
- Choose from our Best VPN services list, or sign up to my personal favorite, ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN software on your internet-connected device.
- Connect to a VPN server that is in a country where streaming is available (the US for Showtime or the UK for Sky Sports).
- Once connected, go to the streaming service you’ve selected and sign up. Once you are done, you are all set to start streaming the big fight!
Joshua v Klitschko: Need to Know
Where Is It?
The fight will be taking place at London’s Wembley Stadium, with a staggering 90,000 tickets being sold after just two hours of them being available online.
- Scott Quigg vs. Viorel Simion, 12 rounds, IBF featherweight eliminator
- Luke Campbell vs. Darleys Perez, 12 rounds, WBA lightweight eliminator
- Katie Taylor vs. Nina Meinke, 10 rounds, female lightweights
- Lawrence Okolie vs. Russell Henshaw, 4 rounds, cruiserweights
- Josh Kelly vs. TBA, 4 rounds, welterweights
- Joe Cordina vs. Jay Carney, 4 rounds, junior lightweights
Joshua v Klitschko: The Odds
- Anthony Joshua to win: 2/5
- Wladimir Klitschko to win: 15/8
- Anthony Joshua decision: 11/2
- Wladimir Klitschko decision: 7/1
- Anthony Joshua KO: 4/6
- Wladimir Klitschko KO: 10/3
- Draw: 33/1
Who is your pick to win this titanic duel? Will the UK’s Joshua defend the IBF title and claim the vacant WBA heavyweight title? Can Klitschko prove his doubters wrong and reclaim past glory? Leave your pick in the comments below!
IMAGE CREDIT: World Boxing Association
IMAGE CREDIT: Wembley Stadium